Bittersweet

The bitterness of your distance
fades a little every day;
each airplane that floats by
takes me miles and miles away.
This way, I'd go, I'd run, I'd hide,
but your eyes see past all the pride.
Though I will be invisible to you,
through and through I know I'll wait,
and savor each little taste you give me...
every one is bittersweet.
It's you and me,
but it's bittersweet.

I dreamt I ran a marathon,
but it was all the wrong direction.
I dreamt I won the lottery,
but my wealth crushed the economy.
I woke and walked along the beach,
rainy sand on foreign feet;
looked and saw, to my surprise,
two sets of footprints on the horizon.

The bite and sting of pesky thoughts;
where's the peace of eastern men?
I'm not religious, but if I believed,
the laws of nature would have to bend.
And I drive the same monotonous route
day by day, and lacking you.
Through and through you know I'll take
and savor each little taste you give me...
every one is bittersweet.
It's still you and me,
but it's bittersweet.

I dreamt I climbed the tallest mountain,
but still couldn't reach to touch the sun.
I dreamt I swam across the ocean,
and in the middle you were floating
like an island, a lonely planet...
sleepless nights with airplanes landing.
I couldn't hear above their roar;
I yelled for you 'til my throat was hoarse.

* * * * *

And so I stir, spoon in coffee,
wondering when to lift and taste.
Bittersweet we may always be,
and if I find that that's the case,
I may nod and go, or hide, or stay,
but you'll have to fix things any way.
This is what's inside of you,
this battle waged inside of you,
and each taste you choose to give me,
every one is bittersweet.
It is you and me, yes,
but it's bittersweet.

I dreamt I played the perfect song,
and forgot it when I paused too long.
I dreamt I drove, or maybe flew,
but crashed along my way to you.
I woke and walked along the street,
ghetto trash on foreign feet;
looked and saw no signs of life,
all alone in the night.
So I kept on walking down the street,
singing, "you and me, we're bittersweet."
"You and me...it's bittersweet."


~06/2006

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Symmetrica