Epic Verse

I had a dream:
I was alone on a vast expanse of dark desert.
A horse of fire bore down on me,
Rider's sword waving, rearing menacingly,
Like some grim and ghastly tale from colonial times,
And my head was ready for the taking –
Then to the tip of an iceberg, and I was chained to it,
Like Prometheus to the mountain's summit,
As a horse of ice bore down on me,
Gnashing its teeth, and I knew it was hungry.
If I was gutted next, I didn't feel it;
The blood only flowed from a bitten lip.
I shook myself awake, groped for a light,
Because every dark corner obstructed my sight.
This is where I might die, I might perish, I might become nevermore,
Like the Raven of Poe's, like the innocence of a whore.
Lighted now, the room seemed bare and seemed boring,
Yet sleep engaged me in hide-and-seek –
A game without laughter for a man who felt meek
After feeling the horrors that Bibles foresee.
Revelate, revelate! O reviled saints!
Paint me a picture of hell and of pain!
Paul and Peter, do you fear the rapture?
I’m fascinated by fate, but still I’m its captive.
Now shaking and shivering, I lack any courage –
The battle in my brain is of epic proportions,
And it distorts the logic that governs the days
Of the populace that plods along at a pace
Clocked and counted out by diamonds on a Rolex:
Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock you're dead.
But still I wrap myself up in the blankets;
In fetal position I feel more protected.
A mother's love teaches a child, till finally
He makes his own life and fulfills his own dreams,
But dreams are fickle friends at the best:
Peace must be made if you desire your rest.
So cease not in temptation, but uncover our evils,
For this is the kingdom of power and glory
That never is tethered.
Amen, I say, amen,
For the good of our friends and of our children,
Amen, goodnight, the end.

~05/07

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Symmetrica